WREN 12S SDK V2 – Specification
Following the success of the original WREN SDK, the new DitroniX WREN 12S SDK v2, based on an Ai-Thinker ESP-12S (ESP8266), has been developed.
DitroniX WREN, is an IoT Linear Motor Controller SDK. It was initially designed to easily, and safely, retrofit (plug and play), to industry standard Electric Reclining Chairs, with continued use of existing push buttons (or remote hand controller), through isolated input and outputs, whilst also allowing simultaneous electrical control from Smart Home Automation.
Based on the Ai-Thinker ESP-12S (ESP8266), WREN has seen integration into a number of applications including, Elderly Assistance, Mobility Aid, Empowering the Disabled, Multi-chair Home Cinemas, Gentle Muscle Exercise Control and of course the humble Lounge Chair Gadget. Through the flexible design and integrated dual-bridge motor controller, the DitroniX WREN SDK allows for a range of other single, or dual, DC Linear Motor applications, such as used in electric beds, shutters, blinds, vents and windows.
The new DitroniX WREN 12S SDK v2 has a wider operating voltage range of 9v to 38V, in order to expand use cases. The existing features remain, such as single, or dual, linear motor control at max 2.8A RMS per output, output peak current 5.6A DC, array of safety circuitry and ability to operate from the existing 24-29V DC supply provided by the reclining chair or host. In addition, the PCB outline has been designed to neatly fit into an inline enclosure, complete with cable grips, so making this a complete and safe solution.
Development of ESP-12S (ESP8266), software is fully supported through IDE such as Arduino IDE, Platform IO, Eclipse etc. WREN maybe integrated in a variety of home automation technologies such as ESPHome, Tasmota, HiveMQ, ESPEasy, ST Anything, SmartThings, Node-Red, Home Assistant, MQTT, CloudMQTT, IFTTT, Mosquitto, Domoticz, etc.
WREN v2 specification overview:
- Flexible Linear Motor Controller
- Wide Input Voltage Range 9V to 38 DC
- Output Motor Voltage replicates Input Voltage
- Ai-Thinker ESP12S (ESP8266 Series)
- Embedded Firmware
- Integrated 2.4 GHz Antenna
- Supports Development IDE such as Arduino IDE, Platform IO, Eclipse etc.
- Support for Technologies such as MQTT, CloudMQTT, HiveMQ, IFTTT, Mosquitto, Tasmota, Domoticz, Node-Red etc.
- UART Flashing Port
- DC Supply Pass-Through
- I2C Expansion Port
- L6205 Dual DMOS Full Brider Driver
- Output Peak Current 5.6A DC
- Two x 5.6A DC RMS channels
- Paralleled Operation (increased current to a single motor)
- Built in Electrical Safety Features
- Digital Temperature Sensor (MCP9808)
- DC Supply Voltage Sensor (ADC)
- Onboard Buck Boost for Regulated 3V3 (Internal Use)
- RGB LED
- Buttons (Tactile)
- Programming (Flashing Mode)
- Simple to Fit – Plug and Play (Standard 5 Pin DIN)
- Existing Recliner Manual Button Controls are Unaffected
- Existing Recliner Accessory Devices, such as USB power, is Unaffected
- Voice Control such as via Google Home and Amazon Alexa
- Manual or Remote Control from PC, Phone or Tablet
- No External Power Required (Uses existing 24V, or 29V, DC)
- Controls Single, or Dual, Motor Riser Recliner Chairs
- Safe to Use
- Isolated Controls Input and Motor Output, allowing parallel operation
Top level differences between WREN 12S SDK V1 and WREN 12S SDK v2
- Increased operating voltage range, 9V to 38V (was 12V to 30V)
- Additional Safety Circuitry (allows increased range of uses)
- Additional Developer User Configuration
- Additional EMC Filtering (for when used in high electrically noisy environments)
OPEN SOURCE DEVELOPER COMMUNITY